Until the first half of the nineteenth century, different means for movement and transfer of luggage are applied in Tbilisi starting with labour force and finishing with the river. As the city developed within the frame of its own fence for long period, there was no need of existence of large and massive transport. Arabas, horses, donkeys, sheds and caravan of camels represented mainly internal and external transport. Rafts filled with fruit were floating on the River Mtkvari, they had special stopping places, so called raft-places.
Since the second part of the nineteenth century, transportation of passengers were carried out mainly by carriages and among them the most remarkable one was droshka. Baron Tornau wrote: "Droshkas" were in rows in the middle of the market, on Madatovi Square. Drivers of droshkas were rushing their horses in that way, that passersbys were frightened of them". By 1870, 439 two-horse and 117 one-horse carriages were moving in the city.
Together with the increase of the area and the population of Tbilisi, the city management decided to create horse riding railway, which means so-called horse-drawn tram. The first horse-drawn tram appeared in the city on 10 March 1883 and it connected Railway Station and current Zaarbrukeni Square to each other by passing Davit Agmashenebeli Avenue (in that time Mikheili Street), then the route extended to today's Liberty Square, and later it covered Rustaveli Avenue and part of Vera, from there the route proceeded to Marjanishvili Street through Vera Bridge. At that time there were no special stops, so each carriage had a conductor, who stopped carriage on the request of passengers. In 1899 22,4 km of rail-track of horse-drawn tram was made in Tbilisi. Horse-drawn tram operated till 1910.
Tbilisi was developing; and pace of life was increasing, consequently, the city administration made the decision to replace horse force by electric power and upgrade tramway. These works were carried out by specialists and exploitation of tramway was under their responsibility for the defined period. In 1904 construction of electric tramway started, Belgian company took those works. On 25 December of 1904 electric tramway was put into operation, width of rail-track was 1000 millimeters. In 1910 "horse-drawn tram", whose width of rail-track was 914 millimeters stopped its existence.
The role of tramway in the city movement substantially increased after the formation of Soviet regime. In the 1930s the center of Tbilisi was connected with its newly improved districts by trams. It is important that tramway transported record number of passengers-194 million in Tbilisi in 1940.
Later the role of tramway declined in the city transport system, which was conditioned by introduction of new type of transport. In addition to it, before the existence of Soviet Union, it had some importance and transported minimum 50 million passengers annually.